PLASMA PEN AFTERCARE & POST TREATMENT GUIDELINES
PLASMA PEN AFTERCARE & POST TREATMENT GUIDELINES
Please ensure you read and follow the advice provided. If you have any concerns after your treatment, if you do not understand any area of your aftercare or if you have additional questions then please do not hesitate to contact Stefany, text or call me, 212- 920-7363
Like most skin rejuvenation treatments, there may be some side-effects but the post-treatment downtime and recovery from Plasma Pen - plus the end result - is frequently shown to be far superior to treatment with other devices. However, we are not in control of what you do when you leave, and you must follow these important guidelines carefully if you wish to enjoy optimal results and protect your investment in Plasma Pen treatment.
Before Your Treatment:
- We recommend you avoid sun-tanning, spray-tanning, tanning injections and sunbeds for 4 to 6 weeks before your treatment. Ideally, we recommend using SPF-40 to prep your skin for 2 to 4 weeks before your treatment, especially if you are naturally darker skinned. You may even wish to consider a Pre-Treatment product using a Tyrosinase Inhibitor as this can help prevent overproduction of pigment in the skin. Tyrosinase Inhibitors are not just useful for those who suffer from hyperpigmentation but for all clients – even those with healthy, even skin. (I Can recommend a Tyrosinase inhibitor. just ask!)
- Avoid any other type of procedures for 3-4 weeks on the same area which you intend to have treated with Plasma Pen, such as laser therapy, chemical peels, Botox/fillers, as this may prevent your treatment being performed.
- Discontinue any use of topical Retin-A products a minimum of 4 days prior to treatment.
- You may NOT look your absolute best during the initial healing process (usually 5 to 7 days). We recommend NOT exercising straight after a treatment because any heat, steam or sweat could add to the inflammation already present. Ideally you want to avoid excessive sweating for 5-7 days during the healing process.
- Remove contact lenses and any eyelash extensions prior to treatment.
- Skincare products with ingredients such as retinols, alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), tretinoin or any type of Vitamin A derivatives should be avoided (30 days prior).
Clients who have experienced a cold sore in or around the mouth MUST take Valtrex at least 3 days prior and 3 days after receiving this treatment. Failure to follow these instructions can risk an outbreak that can affect the healing process.
- As a patient, I understand that all treatment, medical history, hold harmless and waiver forms must be completed and signed to ensure that you have understood the potential benefits and risks associated with the Plasma Lift procedure(s). I also understand that I will receive the best, safest and most successful treatment possible.
- Do Not Drink alcohol one days before treatment.
Pre-treatment check list:
- We recommend taking a high dose of Vitamin C supplements along with Magnesium Citrate, Zinc and Copper 2 weeks before treatment and 12 weeks over the course of the healing process as this will help give your immune system a big boost. In turn this helps you to repair and helps avoid hyperpigmentation. Emergen-C is a great option.
- Set up an area in your bathroom that is clean to apply products to your skin that were provided. Have some Qtips available if the eye area is treated to clean the eyelashes without getting the area treated wet.
- You may want to use eyedrops if the eyes feel irritated. If doing so, tip your face so that the eyedrop comes out by the nose, use a tissue to gently blot in order to avoid getting the area treated wet. Make sure to use a fresh bottle eye drops or use the single portion sterile drops.
Immediately Following Your Treatment:
- We recommend applying small amounts of Silver Gel (4 times a day) to soothe inflamed skin and heal. You may apply Stem Cell Serum(Factorfive OR AnteAge twice per day. It may also provide relief from possible itching and helps expedite a scar free healing process.
- We recommend the only products you use during the 5 weeks post treatment healing stage are the products provided for you. It’s important use un-opened products until the skin is no longer pink.
- Stay away from heat & steam for the next 2 weeks while the skin may be pink and very sensitive.
- There may be some mild to moderate swelling to the area(s) treated, especially around the eyes and within the periorbital region then moderate to excessive swelling is expected and common.
- Swelling and inflammation for 1 to 5 days post-treatment is normal. If swelling lasts beyond the 5 days, contact your treatment provider.
- Do NOT take any anti-inflammatory medicine, allergy medicine, Advil or ibuprofen for 2 weeks after your treatment. Tylenol is acceptable if needed.
- Use ONLY fragrance-free detergent and fabric softener on bedding post treatment. NO dryer sheets of any kind. Please change your pillowcase every day or every other day for 1 week post treatment. It’s important to keep chemicals away from the area treated while keeping the skin as clean as possible. Keep your hair pulled back to keep off your area while healing.
- We recommend that you do NOT apply cold packs or ice packs during the swelling period. Icing will diminish the outcome and inhibit the inflammation process that we want to happen naturally. Applying cold or ice packs on the skin could interfere with the mechanism of action performed by the device and the skin’s natural heat and healing process to achieve the desired result. Swelling is a minor inconvenience to achieve the desired outcome.
- You may experience a “stinging” sensation in the treated area(s) immediately after treatment and up to 24 hours after treatment. This is normal and is simply the heat exiting the skin. It generally only lasts for about an hour or so. The hot feeling on the area treated can be felt up to 24 hours post treatment, this is normal.
- After treating areas of the face, we recommend you sleep on your back with your head elevated to minimize swelling. If you have received treatment to your eye area, then it is important you sleep slightly elevated for up to 7 days as this can greatly reduce swelling.
- It is highly unlikely you will ever get an infection from a Plasma Pen treatment as the wound we cause is not open. However, the first 12 hours post-treatment is of vital importance in protecting you from any kind of potential infection so please avoid any activities where you could expose yourself to contaminants, meaning going to the gym, public places where you can pick up germs by touching things then touching your skin.
-The area(s) treated may be cleansed daily with room temperature water and your fingers. Avoid using washcloths or any other washing devices. You are only removing excess oil and do not need to thoroughly cleanse the treated skin. Do NOT be tempted to rub, brush or exfoliate the area in any way to aid in the removal of the crusts.
-DO NOT use alcohol-based cleansers as this will slow down the healing process.
-Smokers may experience a significant worsening of the blood flow, which increases the risk of wound healing and/or slowed healing.
In the Following Days After Your Treatment:
- It is normal for the area that has been treated to feel tight and dry. Occasional weeping will settle, tiny crusts will quickly form on the treated area. These may be visible for up to about a week (body up to 2 weeks). The crusts/scabs will become darker before the fall off.
- Do NOT pick crusts off as this will delay the healing process and could cause scarring.
-Do not cover with plasters or occlusive dressing.
*If at any time the treated area(s) become too hot, red or shows sign of pus, please contact your doctor for advice as you may be developing an infection.
- If washing your hair after treating areas on the face, we advise you do NOT stand with your face under a hot shower or direct water from shower head for the first 7 days. This could increase swelling. Try to avoid shower gels or hair products running on to your face as this could cause irritation. If water does get on the area treated, blot very gently with a clean cloth or towel.
- Absolutely do NOT use any lotions or creams that are not provided for the next 4 weeks.
- ONLY use the products you are sent home with for the next 5 weeks. The area must be kept free of oil to help the crusts form and then fall off the skin naturally. Do NOT rub or abrade the area(s) or use exfoliating products. This could result in scarring and/or pigmentation.
- Shaving in the area treated should be avoided until it is fully healed.
- If you have had treatment around your eyes, you should avoid wearing contact lenses for 72 hours after your treatment.
- When the crusts have fallen off then your skin may be a little pink as it is fresh, new and rejuvenated baby skin. This pinkness will fade over time in as little as 2 weeks up to a few months. In rare cases it may take up to 6 months.
- Once the scabs come off, you absolutely MUST now begin to apply SPF 30or 50 while your skin is in the healing stages (pink in color) and you should continue to do so for at least the next 12 weeks (and ideally longer). The area(s) treated have produced brand new skin and may burn and/or pigment without adequate protection from the sun. Even while indoors - if your home has sunlight coming in the windows and you can not block the light, apply SPF 30 or 50.
- You absolutely must NOT use saunas or sunbeds during your 12 week healing period and ideally for longer. Avoid the midday sun.
- All other facial treatments on the same area should be avoided while your skin is healing.
- Use of topical Retin A products should be avoided for 4 weeks.
Other Important Aftercare Recommendations:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Taking Vitamin C supplements over the course of your healing process can give your immune system a big boost and help you to repair.
- Any additional treatments that may be required must only be performed once the skin is completely healed and has returned to its normal color. This usually takes about 12 weeks.
- Plasma Pen treatment is the gift that keeps giving and, on top of the immediate rejuvenation, lifting and tightening affects you will likely experience, it can take 8 to 12 weeks for the full effects of your treatment to be seen. More than one Plasma-Fibroblast treatment is usually needed and can be performed typically 8-12 weeks onwards after the initial procedure.